We became a FAMILY 5/10/10!!!

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Random Anecdotes

Toddler + Marker = Traced foot on kitchen floor. I was very glad that Kai had used a washable marker for this little stunt. (Please excuse the nasty, dirty floors...toddlers happen. :)

Kai invited his friend, Lily, over for some painting fun before dinner. By the looks of his face, hair, and the wall behind him, I'd say that he had a good time.

Kai found his sun stick (sunblock in a deodorant-esque looking package) and went to town on his face. Two problems with this... 1) we were indoors, 2) it was the most overcast day we've had in three months.

As I write this, I'm waiting for Kai to wake up. I'm "supposed" to be at an exercise class right now, but a certain someone woke up at 4:30 singing the Alphabet at the top of his lungs for an hour before dozing back off to sleep. Now he is sleeping in and the morning is on pause. Toddlers...

Earlier this week, I found Kai perched atop his crib rails. Clearly I had jinxed myself, because I had been thinking of updating the blog to brag about how nice it is not to have a crib climber. Kai's crib converts to a toddler bed, so I didn't have any worries about finding a quick replacement. My concern was that it takes him soooooo long to fall asleep for his nap and bedtime, that I feared being stuck like a sentry outside his bedroom door for the next 5 years to prevent him from escaping and trying to stay up all night. Fortunately, Rob is as resourceful as I am desperate, and he was able to rig the crib to give us another blissful stretch of toddler confinement. Kai's bed is a study wooden frame. It has a mattress support that elevates it; Rob simply took the pins out and dropped the whole platform/mattress to the floor. The rails now tower over Kai and it will be a long while before he makes his second escape. Tucking him in is a monumental task, but I'll take it over the alternative. Kai actually loves his crib and doesn't want a change yet anyway, so this is a win - win for all.

Funny Story #1: Kai was hanging out by the open kitchen window yesterday. Rob was was home from work and Kai could hear him tinkering in the garage. Kai called out, "Daddy!" and Rob responded back with "Kai Kai!". This game of Marco Polo continued for a few rounds. Then Kai lifted his hand to his ear (sign language for "listen") and yelled out "TING!" (Mandarin for "listen"). Hah, I guess he is learning from his favorite t.v. show, Ni Hao, Kai Lan.

Funny Story #2: I dropped a steaming bowl of veggies into the sink the other day as I was trying to drain them. Rob thought I burned myself and asked if I was okay. Well, now that's Kai's favorite question for me. No less than 4 dozen times a day, Kai asks me in his sweetest voice, "Momma, you okay?". It cracks him up to ask the question six or seven times in a row, knowing that he will get the same response every time. Cute boy.



No comments:

Post a Comment