We became a FAMILY 5/10/10!!!

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Things that Go Bump in the Night


Kai. Kai goes bump in the night. He goes "bump", "bump", "bump" for over an hour after bedtime these days. He is cracking me up as I write this. Even though he has had a full day of play and, as of late, very abbreviated nap times, he just will not settle in to sleep. I'm not complaining by any account. I know all too well that I could be dealing with an anxious non-sleeping toddler. Instead, the little boy that is clearly tired when we are going through our standard "night-night" routine suddenly comes alive at lights out. Now I have witnessed this noise making behavior. Initially I presumed him to be donkey-kicking his crib, but after some stealthy eaves dropping, I discovered that our little wonder starts off in the kneeling position and then WHAM! He sits up on his knees, stretching his tiny arms high in the air and with all his might slams his body down into the mattress. Thank goodness for Serta, otherwise I might worry that the mattress wasn't absorbing the shock he produces. He is sooooo funny to watch (or listen to from my current spot on the couch below his room). He does this off and on for 1 to 11/2 hrs. Intermittently he will break out into laughter or babbling. Just when you think all is quiet and that the Sandman has finally arrived, BINGO, we hear da-da-da, WHACK! I shutter to think of what tales we will have to share once Kai has outgrown his crib and is challenging the liberties of a toddler bed. I need an aspirin just thinking about it. For now I will just sit back and enjoy the sweet sounds of a happy little guy, thump'n around in the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment