We became a FAMILY 5/10/10!!!

Friday, January 21, 2011

A Morning of Feasting

Today marked a very important day for Kai...it was "transition to soft foods" day! Oh, the delight! He squealed with excitement at the runny scrambled eggs I presented him for breakfast. Ugh, not my cup of tea, but for a boy that has been eating purees for the past 9 days, this was gourmet cuisine. He also enjoyed an over-ripe banana, sliced into translucent slivers. Bleck. For lunch, Kai downed his weight in egg salad (I gave him Egg Beaters in the a.m. so that he wouldn't have too much cholesterol). He also found room for ground up spaghetti and apple sauce. Later he ate an Italian Ice. I gave it to him with the assumption that he would lick the top of it until his tongue got tired. He can't use a spoon, so I figured he'd give up soon enough. Nope. Little bugger kept at it. He ran over to me every few minutes to warm up his hands (he froze his little piggy fingers off holding the cup). I finally just took the easy way out and stuck some gloves on him. Where he found the room to eat that much, I will never know. Needless to say, he didn't have much for dinner. He looks quite serious in today's pictures because he was heading for a food coma at the time they were taken. As you can imagine, Kai went down for a nap with little protest today.






Just out of curiosity, I looked back at old posts to see what we were doing last year at this time. This week, twelve months ago, we received what was then, several of Kai's youngest photos. I never tire of reflecting back on those pictures; we are so fortunate that Kai belonged to an orphanage that saw the value of capturing these precious stages of growth and change. That week we also mailed Kai his first of two care packages. We included photos of us, a few toys, baby blanket, disposable cameras and some candy for his caretakers. It is amazing how much can change in a year's time.

2 comments: